Monday, December 9, 2013

It's FREEZING!

The mid-Willamette Valley hasn't seen this kind of weather in over 30 years. As I sit looking out at 9th street I feel like I'm living in Bend, Montana, or Canada (eh?) not Corvallis. Because I'm planning on doing some additional winter driving, and the threat of freezing rain I'm getting my snow tires put on, so as I wait and watch the hustle and bustle of Les Schwab I am reminded how unprepared we are in this area for weather like this.

The water at Les Schwab was off this morning. Their pipes in the building didn't freeze, it was the main at the street that froze. The city came in and thawed it out, so now they're running again, but it's just a reminder that things we don't expect can and will happen.

I worry about people and their houses too. Being a Realtor I'm concerned with the investment that you've made in your home. Are you taking care of your home and managing your investment properly?


Outside the home:
Gutters cleared of debris?
Vents closed up (only during extreme cold temperatures)!
Drain lines cleared?
walkways cleared?
Overhanging dead branches removed?

Under the home:
Pipes insulated?
Flooring insulation?
Vapor barrier in place and properly laid down?

Inside the home:
Windows insulated/covered
Door seals properly maintained? Do you see light through doors or window cracks?
Thermometer and furnace working properly?
Doors to unused rooms open?
Water dripping and/or cabinets open


Once we start to that out:
Open up the vents under the house.
Check your crawlspace for water.
Listen for running water.
Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear and draining.
Check your attic for moisture.
Check your hose bibs, laundry, and any other outside faucets for drips (or worse breakages!)


These are a few things that you can do to help ensure that your investment is properly maintained. Keep your home maintained and you will enjoy your home more while you live there, and get a much higher sales price when you sell. When you have questions or concerns about your home, give me a call!

Shawn Tucker
Licensed Real Estate Broker in the State of Oregon
Keller Williams Realty Mid-Willamette
1121 NW 9th St
Corvallis, OR 97330
541-257-2936

Visit my website:
http://shawntucker.com
http://shawntuckerhomes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment